Spoiler alert — this is a blog post about how the US Congress is wasting their time and our money while engaged in meaningless self-flagellation.
So, President Donald J Trump unleashed the power of Twitter in his inimitable style. It offended a few folks.
There is no novelty amongst that trio — Trump, Twitter, folks taking offense. Let me take that a step further — if Trump is tweeting, he is pissing people off.
Pro tip: He does it on purpose. It’s part of his schtick. When you react to it, you are doing exactly what he wants you to do. He got elected using his Twitter antics. He is the King of Twitter. He will only stop when you stop feeding the beast.
Amongst those offended were The Squad. The Squad — also known as AOC Plus Three — had flung some invective his direction and he responded with Tweets that they classified as RACIST.
RACIST racist RACIST
Calling somebody a racist these days is the new normal. The word itself has lost any grounding in the English language. If anybody disagrees with another, they are a racist. It is slipping into the lexicom like the word “dude.”
I have a pal with whom I enjoy discussing the issues of the day. Before we start chatting, we both say, “Dude, you’re a hopelessly clueless racist.” That keeps us from having to build to that crescendo. Gets us off on the right foot.
BTW, I think you are a racist. Glad we got that out of the way.
This happened after AOC implied Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was also a racist for singling out The Squad — The Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse — for picking on them because they were “women of color.”
Nancy, trying to ingratiate herself with AOC suggested that any Dem in “her” district could get elected including a GLASS OF WATER. Ouch. So we had some raw nerves amongst the Speaker (Wily Coyote), AOC, and The Squad.
There is no quicker trigger finger in the Congress than Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez when it comes to hurling racist invective. You’re drawing your six gun and Alex has already fired and hit you twice, amigo.
I dig AOC.
So what, Big Red Car?
So, Nancy Pelosi — the bruises of her tongue lashing from The Squad still fresh — decides she will have the President of the United States censured for his bad language and deep seated racism. As a Squad-anointed racist herself, she knows how serious this can be — being called a racist. Ouch.
Unfortunately, the issue of “censure” carries a few implications that adults understand, so Speaker Nancy decides to simply pass a non-binding resolution disapproving of Donald Trump’s tweets, behavior, and underlying racism.
I know you probably think that the behavior of the US Congress and the endless utterances, including calling for impeachment on a regular basis, have already let this cat out of the bag, but so what? Play along. This is going to be fun.
What really happened, Big Red Car?
Here it is:
1. The House introduced a non-binding Resolution condemning the Trump tweets.
“These comments from the White House are disgraceful and disgusting, and the comments are racist,” Pelosi, D-Calif., said as she introduced the resolution to condemn Trump’s incendiary remarks.
2. In introducing the Resolution, Speaker Pelosi made further defamatory comments about the President personally.
3. A Republican Congressman, Doug Collins of Georgia (probably a racist, no, definitely a racist), objected to the defamatory nature of Speaker Pelosi’s comments saying they were in violation of a specific rule of the House of Representatives.
He asked her if she would like to “rephrase her comments.”
4. When Speaker Pelosi demurred, the House began to debate and discuss whether Speaker Pelosi had, in fact, defamed or disparaged the President of the United States in violation of the House rule.
5. After an hour of debate, the presiding chairman, a Democrat Congressman from Missouri, Emanuel Cleaver, had had enough.
He got up and castigated the House for their behavior, banged his gavel, and walked out — abandoning his post presiding over the debate.
“We don’t ever, ever want to pass up, it seems, an opportunity to escalate, and that’s what this is. We want to just fight. I abandon the chair.”
Now that caught everybody off guard.
6. After that surprise, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (second in command behind the Speaker) took over the proceedings and announced that the Speaker’s comments were, in fact, “not in order.”
He then called for a vote as to whether Speaker Pelosi’s “not in order” words should be stricken from the record.
After two hours of debate, the Dems voted to retain the “not in order” words on a straight party line vote. Color me surprised.
7. Because her words had been found to be “not in order,” Speaker Pelosi was barred from speaking further on the subject — part of the House rules.
But, the Dems voted to waive that rule — again along party lines. Wow, another surprise.
8. With the preliminaries out of the way, the House voted 240-197 to denounce President Trump’s tweets. Amongst those voting to denounce the Trump tweets were four Republicans and one former Republican.
Will Hurd (TX-23) — the only black Republican in the House
Susan Brooks (IN-5) — retiring from the House after this term
Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-1) — who objected to the President’s “tone” though he agrees with him on policy
Fred Upton (MI-6) — “If we’re going to bring civility back to the center of our politics, we must speak out against inflammatory rhetoric from anyone in any party anytime it happens. America embraces diversity, and that must continue.”
Justin Amash (MI-3) — former Republican who just switched to being an Independent, will not be re-elected
The bottom line is that President Donald J Trump has now been admonished by the House of Representatives for his tweets taking issue with The Squad. The vote was along party lines.
What really happened, Big Red Car
Nobody can fool you, dear reader, can they? OK, here’s what really happened?
1. Nancy Pelosi made peace with The Squad thereby conveying enormous power onto them. They are now, effectively, the leadership of the Dem party. Here is The Squad holding a press conference announcing they are hurt and offended.
The Squad has accepted the mantle of leadership. Bravo!
2. The Dems have now teed it up for impeachment. This act — a convulsive party line vote for admonition — was a test run for impeachment.
3. President Donald J Trump has now made The Squad, the party line Dem Congress, the rule breaking Dem Congress his opponent for re-election. Hugely clever sleight of hand.
He will not be running against a moderate, like Joe Biden. He will be running against the Far Left ideas promulgated by The Squad.
4. Already, that strategy had begun to pay dividends.
Point of order — AOC approval rating currently? 22%
Congresswoman Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, approval rating? 9%
These poll numbers come from a Dem commissioned poll that was leaked to Axios to make the case that The Squad is now defining the public perception of the Dem party. This is Dems v The Squad.
Do you recall the New Green Deal — oops, the Green New Deal — and all of its ambitious plans? Well, now, it’s front and center again.
Nancy Pelosi got crosswise with The Squad because she didn’t genuflect before the Green New Deal or care how many followers The Squad had on Twitter. She only cared about votes on the floor of the House. [She’s a dinosaur, sayeth The Squad.]
So, there you have it, dear reader.
President Trump — as certain as the sun rising — offended somebody with a Tweet. The House allowed The Squad to lead it about by the nose and engage in a silly waste of time by proposing, debating, and voting on a meaningless, non-binding Resolution thereby becoming Exhibit One in the lament that the US Congress — controlled by the Dems — does NOTHING to further the interests of the American people.
They engage in mind numbing political thumb fights.
Bottom line it, Big Red Car
OK, I dig The Squad. Bit odd, I admit. I think they are way off base on policy, but I love the energy and I love their unbridled wackiness. It is good for America to learn how far out the Dems are willing to go, how far left they think the country should go, how totally disconnected they are from reality. One of the most important things in life is to know the other guy’s ideas.
Sure, Nancy Pelosi is a dinosaur when it comes to social media, but she is as shrewd as they come when it comes to coalition building and running the House. She has climbed that mountain twice. Wait and see; she will take revenge.
The Dems are giving the next election to President Trump without a fight.
The Congress continues to be a useless waste of time and money when it comes to serving the American people. I can’t wait for the impeachment debate to start.
This is what your Congress did yesterday to serve you. Nothing.
But, hey, what the Hell do I really know anyway? I’m just a Big Red Car. Be good.