Big Red Car here on a cloudy Texas day. This is a lot of clouds, y’all, but we like them. Syria and North Korea are a couple of lawless, outlaw regimes, but did you know they have had a relationship for years?
Syria is the bunch run by Bashar al Assad who has killed 500,000 of his countrymen, internally displaced 6,000,000 more, and turned 5,000,000 into refugees. [Can you imagine any scenario in which this shithead continues to run Syria?]
North Korea is the bunch run by Kim Jong Un whose family has lorded over his country like a penal colony and has literally starved them so badly that the average height of a North Korean has diminished three inches in the last forty years. [To be technically correct, a South Korean is, on average, three inches taller than a North Korean. Same gene pool, different nutrition.]
So what have they been up to?
Syria and North Korea are both producers of sarin gas. Syria pretended to sign onto the Chemical Weapons Convention back in 2013 to avoid the consequences of former President Obama’s Big Red Line [different than a Big Red Car like me]. That worked out pretty terrific, right?
North Korea has never made a pretense of getting with the program and has never agreed to the Chemical Weapons Convention.
What else, Big Red Car?
The North Koreans and the Syrians work together on three things:
1. Nuclear proliferation. You know the North Koreans have nukes, but did you know the Syrians had their own nuclear development plan until the Israelis took out their nuclear reactor with a bombing run in 2007?
Operation Orchard was the Israeli airstrike which destroyed the Syrian nuclear reactor at Deir ez-Zor at midnight on 6 September 2007 during the Olmert regime.
This was in conformance to the 1981 Begin Doctrine which mandates the destruction of Arab nuclear reactors which might threaten Israel.
Interesting side note, the CIA and the Mossad quashed all info on the raid for almost a year because the Israelis spoofed the Syrian air defense using electronic jamming. It was a great big deal with Special Forces on the ground providing laser guidance to the Israeli bombers.
Big takeaway — the Syrians were in the game until the Israelis took them out.
2. Rocket development. The North Koreans — who are making great strides in rocket development — have assisted the Syrians on the same front.
If that isn’t bad enough, the North Koreans have worked with the Iranians on similar initiatives.
3. Chemical weapons. The Syrians are the latest users of chemical weapons against their own people, but the North Koreans have VX and sarin production facilities of their own. There is no peaceful use for nerve agents.
The Axis of Evil — Syria, North Korea, Russia, Iran
The coalition to keep an eye on is the Russia – Iran – North Korea – Syria bunch. These are bad guys with evil intent. The Chinese are looking for a seat at the table, but may not get one because they aren’t evil enough. Could be wrong about that.
The Axis is up to no good in the areas of: nuclear proliferation, rocket development, and chemical weapons.
One other key area to watch is miniaturization. North Korea has nukes. North Korea has rockets, missiles, and ICBMs. What North Korea does NOT have, yet, is the ability to miniaturize their nukes sufficiently they can sit atop their missiles.
The world only has 1-2 years before this happens.
Point of Order
A few interesting facts to consider:
1. The Israelis are the all time big game nuclear reactor hunters having taken out Syrian and Iraqi nuclear plants and programs. That Begin Doctrine thing.
2. The North Koreans are right on the cusp of being an annoying uncle morphing into being a real, major league pain in the ass.
3. The Chinese and the Americans had a chance to “chat” about North Korea at Mar a Lago.
4. The Chinese have replaced their border guards on the border with North Korea at the Yalu River with regular infantry.
5. The US has sent a fleet to cruise off the coast of North Korea.
6. I would not be surprised to see the US strike North Korea and China take over the country and make it into a province of China.
One last thing: The Russians and the Syrians and the Iranians are not going to do anything to retaliate against the Trump regime. President Trump and Mad Dog Mattis got a free hit and that is good for the world. There has to be something in the world which is so outrageous the good guys will come and whip your ass. Chemical weapons is that thing.
Keep an eye on that American fleet cause it costs a lot of money to send a carrier battle group sailing around. This may not be a head fake.