Big Red Car here revealing himself as the most ardent Tarheels fan in the state of Texas. Yes!
Tonight the Heels play Villanova for the national championship in Houston. The Boss and the Big Red Car will NOT be there because the game is more easily followed on a big, flat screen television like the one in The Boss’s gameroom.
The Boss will be rooting for the Heels because he always roots for the Heels except he also roots for the Longhorns when they used to have a football team but that’s a story for another day.
So, there you have it.
The Heels will win for the following reasons:
- The Boss loves them and he deserves to be on the winning side of something good and pure given the nature of the current Presidential campaign. Sorry.
- The Heels are peaking at the right time and they’ve got a powerful inside game with the best front court in college sports. They can throw that ball in and stick it up and hang around for the rebounds.
- The Heels have some three point shooters who, if they show up, can complement the front court and give them an exquisite inside-outside game.
- The Heels are as deep as the Mariana Trench (Google it, baby).
- The Heels can run and score in transition which when coupled with that deep bench means that, midway through the second half, conditioning coupled with depth becomes a determinate factor.
- If God isn’t a Tarheel why is the sky Carolina Blue?
The Heels win it in a game that is surprisingly not very close.
OTOH, the Villanova is a special school. They are a private Catholic university of about 11,000 students with liberal arts, engineering, business, nursing, and a law school. They have a very well respected Navy and Marine ROTC program and have supplied officers to those two branches since before World War II.
No student of the game of basketball can forget the 1985 Rollie Massimino coached upset victory of Georgetown. It was and is a classic.
Still, The Boss will be rooting for them to come in second tonight.
Hook ’em, Heels!